Sumas Elementary is dedicated to reducing bullying behavior in our school. We use prevention strategies before an incident to build students’ conflict resolution skills along with a restorative justice response after incidents occur. With your help, we believe we can have an even bigger impact!
Prevention is the best tool for reducing bullying. For more information on how parents can support their students, visit https://www.stopbullying.gov/resources/what-you-can-do#parents
Ways to help prevent bullying (from stopbullying.gov)
- Help kids understand bullying. Talk about what bullying is and how to stand up to it safely. Tell kids bullying is unacceptable. Make sure kids know how to get help.
- Keep the lines of communication open. Check in with kids often. Listen to them. Know their friends, ask about school, and understand their concerns.
- Encourage kids to do what they love. Special activities, interests, and hobbies can boost confidence, help kids make friends, and protect them from bullying behavior.
- Model how to treat others with kindness and respect.
To report a bullying incident, you, your child, or your child’s teacher can contact Heather Taylor via phone, email, or text. When an incident is reported, SES staff follow the protocols outlined in the Bullying Policy document.
Sumas Elementary Bullying Policy- English
Sumas Elementary Bullying Policy- Spanish
How to support your child after a bullying incident (from stopbullying.gov)
- Stay calm and help them do the same.
- Recognize the warning signs that your child is involved in bullying.
- Learn what bullying is and what it is not.
- Learn how to find out what has happened with your child.
- Work with the school to support your child. Set up a meeting, call the teacher, develop a safety plan
- Learn about what your state requires schools to do in your state’s anti-bullying law. Learn also about federal laws.
- If you have worked with your child and your school and need additional assistance, find resources to help address the situation.
Heather Taylor, Sumas Elementary School Counselor
Phone: 360.988.9423 ext. 2307 or